Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Space Opera

I was in the new Collins bookshop on Main St the other day- PS It looks very nice and blue. Anyway, I'm looking at the sci-fi section and I discover this book by this Scottish writer. I can't for the life of me remember the title or writer's name (me quoting my queen Stevie Nicks) but I do remember the book review on the back, which names it one of the best "space operas" ever created.

The term space opera stuck with me all the way home, and that was when I looked the term up on the Wikipedia. Apparently a space opera is defined by all of the dramatic and romantic elements in it... all of which are incorporated into an outer space setting. I immediately thought of my beloved Battlestar Galactica and its soon to begin spin off Caprica, which I'm hoping the Sci-Fi Channel will air down here straight away.

Anyway, I thought to myself... could the Lightstream Sheep write a space opera of his own. My thoughts following those were yes, I could. In fact I've already got "something" in the works about a race of humans looking for a home on the other side of the galaxy, and all the crap they've got to endure.

Of course there's got to be something speculative in it, apart from space travel. That's already been established and I don't want people to yawn, so there's got to be some element of power to use, and yes, I've already thought of that. Something that I don't think has been really used so much, except by Joss Whedon (greatest man ever) and Russell T. Davies and the crew of Doctor Who.

That's all for now...

1 comment:

K@t said...

Since when are you the Lightstream Sheep? Am I missing something?