Saturday, December 6, 2008

Stowaway

Hello, for anyone who read my previous posting, you should know that I was conflicted about what I should be writing. Now I do know what I want to do, and that is my sci-fi, which I am currently calling Stowaway. This is only a working title, so there might be another emerging in the future.

Anyway, my new novel is about a woman named Monica Edmondson. I've chosen her first name because it means alone, and her surname because it is a tribute to the character Margaret "Racetrack" Edmondson, played by Leah Cairns in Battlestar Galactica. Monica learns that she can unwillingly travel through time and space, which she has no control over.

Monica find herself travelling to the age of slavery in New Orleans, and all the way to the year 2931, where Egypt has emerged as one of the most powerful nations in the world. This doesn't sit well for Monica, because she'd much rather go home to her daughter, Freya. What makes things worse is that Freya ages 23 years, whilst Monica only ages 10.

I'm planning to capture a more realistic side in sci-fi, whilst also mixed with a bit of humour. I'm also writing it in the first person narrative, because I'm done with those damn POV changes that Monday Esme taught me to hate so much. Also, I'm going to do a lot more research for this, and I've already started.

I will be posting more details about the novel as I write it. I'm already passed 8,000 words, so that is a good sign. Another thing is that I've included four pre-existing people into my novel, so George, Amber, Catherine and Justen, you shall be famous.

Cheers

1 comment:

K@t said...

That plot is called the Time Traveller's Wife.

That is all.

KAT