Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Its Been A While, I Know

Okay, I've been pretty distracted for the last couple of months, what with watching girls flash me at the Deni Ute Muster to just can't being stuffed to write anything down. But I do have things to share with whatever following I may have.

1. I saw the last Heath Ledger movie ever made, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnasus, and I'm a little freaked out. I got the plot and liked the characters (Tony not so much), but I felt it was just too mad. Also I didn't like the special effects, except for the monastery made up of elephant carvings. I think Terry Gilliam's old movies were better, like Twelve Monkeys. Think he shouldn't rely on the effects so much and stick to a smaller budget.

2. I read the last part of Matthew Reilly's trilogy, and I hated it. The Five Greatest Warriors was to me the greatest waste of time ever. There was no depth, characters were flat and cliched and the dialogue was shit. The 11 year old kids talk like adults too much and whenever someone gets out of being captured they wind up getting caught by someone else. I think the biggest let down was introducing the new villain Vladimir Karnov, one of those stereotypical Russian villains with half his face made out of metal. He just came out of no where and took control- totally ****ed up!

Then you've got everyone turning out to be a traitor of some sort- Diane Cassidy, Cieran Kincaid etc, and Reilly makes the protagonist feel like they've been betrayed by the closest friend. BULLSHIT! Huntsman just met these people! WHY DOES HE FEEL LIKE HE'S GOT A STICK UP HIS ARSE YANKED OUT! Another thing about these villains is that they've too full of themselves and like to talk to much.

Finally, why is it that some writers keep putting the most boring people in charge of saving us all. Jack West Jr was flat, annoying and somewhat narcacistic. I keep saying this whenever I learn about a hero who just shouldn't be (John Connor, Jack Shappard, Peter Petrelli ect) "Let the world burn. We've had a good run." If people wind up saying stuff like that, the writer has failed! That is all.

3. I've recently sent my manuscript off to another publisher, this time it is TransitLounge. I think I might have a chance, since they asked for more than a 3 chapter sample. I'm hoping the wickedness of the Alchemist will urge the good people over there to want more. Also on the topic of the chronicles, I've been working away on some character development. To date I've been tweaking Andrew Natalis, Penn Lewis, Tracy Woods, Samuel 'The Hurricane' Guevarra, Marcus Sawyer, Kristen Yeow, Carey Luttrell and my all time favourite, Wes McCarthy.

I'm also planning something big and hopefully horrific for the fifth part of the series which I'm praying will make me one of those writers who'll go anywhere in his/her work. That's it for now, and I hope to be adding more the blog soon, and that people will read it.

No comments: